SS861 is the single component and non-sag type silicone sealant which is specially designed for the expansion joint, contraction joint and vertical joint of the airfield runway, highway, tunnel, bridge and other concrete roads. It is characterized by low modulus and good expansion & contraction recovery which can accommodate the displacement of the concrete joints. The accelerated weathering aging tests show that its excellent weatherproof aging property can completely resist the harsh tests of the high and low temperature as well as the strong ultraviolet radiation environment of the concrete road.
- Ease of application: single package, convenient for application, excellent extrudability and applicability within the normal construction temperature range;
- No primer: neutral curing, chemically compatible with the concrete, firm chemical adhesion to the concrete, normally it is not necessary to apply the primer;
- Long service life: excellent long-term weather proof aging properties; it will not be damaged due to the influence of sunlight, rain, snow, ultraviolet radiation and ozone; outstanding high and low temperature resistance; after curing, the cured silicone sealant bar will not get hardened or brittle obviously under -40°C and still keep good elasticity; it will not flow or degrade under +150°C;
- High displacement capacity: the sealant will be displaced freely with the expansion, contraction and shearing of the concrete joints. But the sealant itself will not be damaged.
- Low modulus: when the sealant is deformed negatively, it will produce appropriately low stress to act on the concrete substrate to make sure that the surface layer of the concrete is not damaged.
- High elasticity and high recovery capability: the sealant can move repeatedly for many times with the movement of joints. It can respond to and recover quickly. There is only slight permanent deformation.
2. Main Purpose
- Used for filling and sealing the joint of the airfield runway and the highway, which can resist large displacement;
- Used for filling and sealing the joint of other concrete roads;
- Used for the sealing of the subway, tunnel and bridges etc. projects.
3. Main Technical Standards
||Smooth and Flat
|Surface Drying Time, h
|Elastic Recovery, %
|Adhesion at Maintained Extension
|Adhesion after heat pressing and cold drawn
|Adhesion at maintained extension after inundating in the water
|Adhesion at maintained extension after heat treatment
|Changes in hardness after the heat treatment, has
||Thermo gravimetric, %
4. Standards Compliant
- SS861 complies with and even surpasses the following standards:
- Industrial Standard SS861: SR I N 25LM JC/T 976-2005
- It is not suitable for construction under adverse weather;
- SS861 is not applicable to the frost or humid surface;
- SS861 is not applicable to the materials that may exude oil, plasticizer or solvent such as the surface of the creosoted timber;
- SS861 is not applicable to the place where may constantly inundate in the water and oil;
- SS861 is not applicable to the places that are not ventilated because the sealant has to be cured by absorbing the moisture in the air;
- It is not suitable to apply the SS861 when the temperature of the material surface is lower than 4°Cor higher than 40°C
- The newly casted concrete shall be protected and maintained at least for 7 days in the dry weather. If there is rainy day, then one more day for maintaining shall be added for one rainy day, i.e. at least 7 days of drying maintenance shall be ensured. If it requires completing the application rapidly or if the concrete is the rapid-drying concrete, please contact the technical service staff of Baiyun Chemical Industry Co., Ltd
- During the application of the sealant, it is suitable to be lower than the road surface to prevent from wearing.
- Application restriction of the substrate: it is not suitable to be used on the copper, lead, galvanized metal surface and the polycarbonate material.
- SS861 is packed using the composite soft film. The net capacity is 590ml.
- SS861 is grey or other colors required by the customers.
8. Storage and Shelf Life
SS861 shall be stored at the cool and dry place below 27°C. The storage time is 6 months from the date of manufacture.
9. Technical Service
Complete product technical information will be provided.
SS861 road silicone sealant has excellent adhesion to the concrete. No primer is necessary. But since the variety of the configuration of the concrete and the different surface cleaning conditions, we cannot ensure that the sealant is applicable to all kinds of road concrete. Small scale of field adhesion test must be carried out before the large-scale application so as to propose reasonable plan and further to ensure the good adhesion.
10. Interface Design and Construction Method
Interface Design (refer to Fig. 1)
Fig. 1 Illustration of Correct Interface Design
Shallow interface used in the new project
Interface to be ground
i. For contraction joint: the minimum required width is 6mm, but 9mm is optimal;
ii. For expansion joint:
a. The dimensions of the interface shall be designed according to the expansion amount of the panel and the displacement capacity of the sealant:
Width of Interface
Displacement Capacity of Sealant
Side Length of Panel in the Calculation Direction
Linear Expansion Coefficient of Panel
Highest Working Temperature
Lowest Working Temperature
b. Determine the displacement capacity of the required sealant according to the dimensions of the panel and the dimensions of the interface:
Displacement of Joint
Side Length of Panel in the Calculation Direction
Linear Expansion Coefficient of Panel
Highest Working Temperature
Lowest Working Temperature
Dimensions of Joint
The displacement capacity of the selected sealant shall be larger than the joint displacement.
iii. The width and depth ratio of the sealant shall be W : D = 2 : 1. At this time the comprehensive performance of the sealant is optimal; the depth range shall be 6 ~ 13mm.
iv. It is suitable to finish the sealant surface to be the concave arch and the radius R shall be about 7~9mm lower than the road face. The concave arch shall be deepened with the increasing of the width of the interface. The interface can be up to 13mm at widest.
u Construction Method:
i. Cleaning of Interface
a. Cutting (make new interface) or cleaning the joint (old interface)
i). Cutting: After fully curing of the concrete and before the application of sealant, the interface shall be re-cut to make the width and depth of the joint meet the design requirements;
ii). Cleaning the joint: clear off the old sealing materials residue in the interface. For the old sealing materials that are difficult to remove, the solvent, sand blasting or mechanical grinding etc. methods can be used for cleaning. If the interface can still not be cleaned completely by the above mentioned methods, then the interface shall be cut to make the interface wider. If the silicone sealant is used in the original old interface, then check the adhesion between the sealant and the interface surface first to see whether the adhesion is still good. A very thin layer of sealant can be left at the interface. If the same type of silicone sealant is used, then the new and the old sealants will naturally cohere with each other. The adhesion and sealing performance will not be influenced.
b. High pressure water column cleaning: flush the impurities residue in the interface using the high pressure water column.
c. Drying: make the interface dry naturally.
d. Sand blasting cleaning: after the interface surface of the concrete is dry and before the application of the sealant, make sure again whether the interface surface is clean and firm. Touch the interface surface with your finger. If there is still powder adhering on the surface, it means that interface is still not firm enough. The sand blasting machine shall be used to blast the interface surface until there is no powder flaking off. Sand blasting can also increase the adhesion area of the wall of the interface and improve the adhesion performance of the sealant and the substrate.
e. High pressure air spraying: use at least 90psi (0.62MPa) oil-free and moisture-free high pressure air to spray the interface to thoroughly remove the fine sand and other impurities.
ii. Installation of backup material: after cleaning the interface, the backup material shall be installed and the sealant shall be applied as soon as possible. If the backup material cannot be installed immediately after cleaning, then it is suggested to repeat the high pressure air spraying step for one time before the installation of the backup materials. The backup material shall be wider than the width of the interface. Refer to Table 1 for the recommendations of the installation of the backup material (shallow interface).
Table 1 Recommendation of Installation of Backup Material (Shallow Interface),
|Width of the Interface
|Depth of the Concave
|Thickness of the Sealant
|Diameter of the Backup Bar
|Depth of the Whole Interface
iii. Application of primer solution: for a very few of substrate, sometimes the primer solution must be applied to improve the adherence between the sealants and the interface surface. The suggestions and procedure from the manufacturer of sealant for the application of primer solution shall be applied.
iv. Sealant Application:
a. Inject the mouth of the sealant package into the interface to make sure that the sealant can fill the whole interface from the top to bottom without air bubble.
b. Push the mouth of the sealant package into the interface with 45° angle rather than applying the sealant by dragging.
c. For the interface with certain length, the sealant shall be applied steadily and continuously. Avoid applying the sealant sometimes fast and sometimes slow as much as possible which may cause the overdose or insufficiency of sealant in the interface.
d. Control the speed of sealant application by controlling and adjusting the pressure of the sealant application gun as well as the size and shape of the mouth of the sealant application gun.
e. Extrude and flatten the sealant surface from the top to the bottom using the appropriate trimming tools to press the sealant so that there is sufficient contact and adhesion between the sealant and the interface.
f. After the application of sealant, check the joint filling of the interface to make sure that there is no light blank of sealant, bubble and hunch etc. defects in the sealant joint. Any inappropriate condition shall be dealt with immediately.
u Quality Control:
In order to make sure that the selected sealant and operation procedure can have excellent sealing effect on the constructed road joint, the field adhesion test shall be done respectively before and after the construction.
i. Before Construction:
Select one section of road with typical interface design (about 1m). Proceed the operation in a small area using the selected sealant and the construction procedure. After the sealant is completely cured, check the adhesion between the sealant and the interface according to the field adhesion test method. If the adhesion or the pressed backup material is found inappropriate, re-check the selected sealant and construction steps to find out the reason and remedy the inappropriate position. For the road with stringent requirements, the length of the tested interface can be increased according to the practical situation (for the airfield runway, it is normally suggest that the length of the tested interface is 30m).
ii. After Completion:
For each different interface design, after the sealant is completely cured, at least one field adhesion test shall be carried out. For the road with stringent requirements, the tested length and times shall be increased. For the airfield runway, one test shall be done for every 15 boxes of sealant applied (20 bars of sealant in each box, 590ml/bar, totally approx. 177L sealant).
u Field adhesion test method:
i. Cut the sealant joint using the knife along the length direction of the interface;
ii. Cut about 80mm respectively on the both sides of the interface with the sealant along the interface;
iii. Make one horizontal mark on the sealant bar at about 20mm high area;
v. Hold the sealant bar (above the approx. 20mm horizontal mark) and stretch the sealant bar in the direction vertical to the road;
vi. When the mark at 20mm on the sealant bar is stretched to about 60 ~ 80mm long and there is no surface damage on the sealant bar and the interface, it shows that the test is qualified.
vii. If the tested sealant contacts different materials, then carry out the test for the single material respectively. Cut about 20mm long gap on the tested material of the interface and cut a gap longer than 20mm (about 30~35mm) on the non-tested material. Carry out the tensile test along the direction vertical to the road.
11. Safety Instruction
This product is not poisonous after completely curing. But please avoid contact with eyes before curing. After contact with eyes, please flush your eyes with large amounts of water and see a doctor. The uncured product shall not be contacted by children. Alcohol substances may be released during the curing process of this product. Pay attention to the air ventilation at the construction and the curing area to avoid the harmful effect of the alcohol substances with large concentration to the human beings.
Please contact the customer service center of Baiyun Chemicals Company for the relevant technical information of safety of the products.
- Our company has passed ISO9001/ISO14001/OHSAS18001 quality system certification and carries out the production and product quality control strictly in accordance with ISO9001 quality system.
- Our company will sign and issue the letter of quality guarantee for sealants after the customer buys the products and confirms the construction unit and the project.
Normally it is not necessary to carry out maintenance. If the sealant joint is damaged, please remedy it according to Article 10.
14. Purchasing Channel and Price
The customer can purchase our products directly from Guangzhou Baiyun Chemical Industry Co., Ltd or our appointed regional agents to ensure the quality and the fidelity of the products.
15. Estimation of Dosage
Table 2 Construction Length of Each Bar of Baiyun SS861 (590ml) Road Silicone Sealants (m)
Note: The actual dosage of the sealant may vary due to the interface design, installation location of the liner material, dressing technique and wastage on the construction site.
Note: what’s written here is the information that we think is reliable. Since there will be great difference in the actual circumstance, it is impossible for us to know all kinds of circumstances. Therefore, we cannot ensure the correctness and applicability of our products in certain usage and functions. The customers shall get familiar with the products in detail before using the products and determine the optimal application method at their own discretion.